Monday, November 4, 2013

Community

Community is a huge buzz word right now- "Let's build community" "You need to find a community" "The church is your community" "you need to be a part of a small group so that you have community" "Community , Community, Community"
The definition of community is a unified body of individuals b. the people with common interests living in a particular area .....

I think that community is hard to find- why? Because we are human- and to be honest- we aren't always that good at loving each other very well- We might be good at loving a few people in our community, but we might not have that much in common with others so therefore are they really a part of the community? It's hard- It's hard to genuinely care for each other- Really Care- Life gets in the way.
I went to see Glennon Doyle yesterday who is a blogger a pretty famous one at that- She is a JMU graduate and her sorority brought her to JMU and they opened up some time with her for the public ta attend.  I read her stuff every now and again- I wouldn't call myself and Monkee, but I do enjoy what she writes when I read it- One of her slogans is "Love Wins" which sounds all cute and pretty doesn't it?  However, she explained the kind of Love that she is talking about- she said not pretty cute sweet everything is perfect pink love, but messy hard love- I'm gonna love you through it love - choosing to love when we want to give up and retreat love, loving when people are mean love....
I thought that was pretty cool - We don't really love each other that well- me included. 
I have had the privilege of leading a small group of sophmore JMU girlies- most of which are Younglife leaders- we have been reading "The Gospel by JD Greear- Which I would highly recommend It's a great read and we are learning so much together.  One part of his gospel prayer is
"As you have been to me so I will be to others"-
AS JESUS has been to be (died on the cross for me - LOVED me even when I didn't deserve it) so I will be to others---
Now that is LOVE- so if we put things in that perspective then.....that's some crazy messy  love right there- When he demonstrated his love for us it was messy and crazy-
I want to love people like that!  I love my family like that-
I decided back in 2004 when we were living our sad little life in Richmond VA - working alot trying to raise 2 babies and pay our bills on the concession stand that we ran inside the dying mall I decided a few things- 1 I was going to love my family, my friends, and my Jesus uninhibitedly - whatever I needed to do to show them love- 2- I was not going to do things because I felt like i HAD to but only because I truly wanted to- so not doing things that I don't want to do. That was almost 10 years ago and have I always done a great job at those things? NAW- because I am human- but at the same time I am glad that I came to those conclusions almost 10 years ago because it has made my life a lot easier.
I am a hard sale sometimes- I know that- I want to be Real- and when you are Real sometimes you don't have alot of friends- because people don't like real- real people are hard to deal with- I am not saying that I don't have alot of acquaintances because I do- but only a handful of people (ladies) that want to spend time with me outside of hey how ya doing or  want to talk to me about my business because that is what others feel like defines me. 
So back to community- yeah big buzz word- and I am speaking to myself as well- we have to go out of our way to love each other messy love hard love- WHy? because that is how Jesus loved us-

Random:
My babygirl turns 13 on Friday- I can not believe it!
I am in love with Trader Joe's
Cheese Dip from El Charro is my weakness
I still drink Diet Coke like it's my Job
Scandal is the best show on TV
I bought my first pair of skinny jeans and I look a little like humpty dumpty
my 9 year old makes me laugh everyday

Until next time
Smiles
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment